Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Tuesday WINCO comments

I never really known how and why and when WINCO makes changes in their food prices. I keep looking for some sort of a pattern but I can't find a consistent pattern. Typically prices will change early in a work week. But that isn't always true either.

This week, it appears the prices changes on Monday but I noticed that some of then changes on Saturday. Who knows? Go figure, as they say.

Cantalopes are p to 68 cents a pound now at WINCO, so wave goodbuy to the 48 cent price. Freddie's 48 cent price is now the lowest in town on these melons.

Those great turkey sausages that were a steal at $2.08 are now back to $3.22. We don't have enough room in our freezer to stock up on deals like this. Bummer! There were some good pork deals for a few days last week but they are now gone, too.

Green chiles jumped from $1.28 to $1.48. Most of the rest of produce is stable. Green peppers fell back down to 78 cents. I have no idea why they were at nosebleed level recently. WINCO's tomatoes look pretty terrible right now, I wouldn't eat 'em if they were free!

The Deli changed their meat prices, too. Gone is the $3 Virginia Ham--it's back to $4.48 They've dropped the smoked turkey to $2 a pound but it's not good stuff. It has a terrible metallic taste. You get what you pay for, that's for sure.

I love WINCO, as you well know, I truly do! We had that cod last night that I scored last week. It was one of the best fish meals Susun's fixed in a long time. Awesome fish! Thanks, WINCO!

I did happen to make a small discovery in WINCO the other day. They have moved their saltines out into the "Aisle of Temptation" just inside the front door. This is where WINCO wants you to make a lot of impulse purchases. Most people fall prey to this tactic. Not me. However, I spied those $1.08 saltines and thought, "Why not?" I eat a LOT of saltines and most cheap saltines are worse than dog food. Anyway, I figured I'd gamble a buck and change on these saltines. Well, guess what? They're good! Who'd a thunk it? So, I've been buying them on a regular basis lately. It's pleasant to get one of my staple foods for a decent price!

Well, there' nothing much else happening at WINCO--just rock bottom prices and top notch quality--same old, same old.

No comments:

Post a Comment

NYC EL parador 2010

By Alex Witchel March 30, 2010 KEEPING up with the sheer volume of new restaurants in New York can be daunting, not to mention disappointing...